Thursday, February 22, 2007

Genesis 23: The Cave in the Field of Machpelah in Hebron.


Gen 23:1 And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty
years old: [these were] the years of the life of Sarah.

______________________________________________
Gen 23:2 And Sarah died in Kirjatharba ; the same [is] Hebron
in the land of Canaan: and Abraham came to mourn
for Sarah and to weep for her.

Hebrew for 07153 Qiryath'Arba++++++++++++++ {keer-yath'ar-bah}x9

Qiryath 'Arba
Kirjath-arba - "City of Arba" 1.) The early name
of Hebron.
Kirjatharba 6, city of Arba 1, synonym 2; 9




Jos 14:15 And the name of Hebron before [was] Kirjatharba;
[which Arba was] a great man among the Anakims. And
the land had rest from war.


Jos 20:7 And they appointed Kedesh in Galilee
in mount Naphtali, and Shechem in mount
Ephraim, and Kirjatharba, which [is] Hebron,
in the mountain of Judah.
and Kirjatharba, which [is]
Hebron, in the mountain of Judah.


Neh 11: 25 And for the villages, with their fields,
[some] of the children of Judah dwelt at
Kirjatharba, and [in] the villages thereof,
and at Dibon, and [in] the villages thereof,

Gen 23:3 And Abrsaham stood up from before his dead, and spake
unto the sons of Heth, saying,


Gen 23:4 I [am] a stranger and a sojourner with you:
give me a possession of a
buryingplace with you,
that I may bury my dead out of my sight.

Psalm 39:12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and
give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace
at my tears: for I [am] a stranger with thee,
and sojourner as all my father [were.]


[I am a] stranger
[01616] ger
and a sojounrer
[08453] towshab
with you: give
[05414] nathan
me a possession
[0272] 'achuzzah
of a buryingplace
[06913] qeber
with you that I may bury
[06912] qaber

my dead
[04191] muwth
out of my sight.
[06440] paniym

:"Out of my sight" is better translated "Out of my FACE"
Hebrew of 06440- Paniym {paw-neem} x 2109
Paniym - Face
"
(Str. & Ges.) (Str.)
Face
before 1137, face 390, presence 76, because 67, sight 40,
countenance 30, from 27, person 21, upon 20, of 20, ...me 18,
against 17, ...him 16, open 13, for 13, toward 9, misc 195; 2109

_____________________________________________________
(I [am] a stranger and a sojourner with you:
give me a possession of a
buryingplace with you,
that I may bury my dead out of my sight.)
__________________________________________________
STRANGER-

Hebrew for 01616 gerGer {gare} or geyr{gare}
Ger/ Stranger
stranger x 87, alien x 1, sojourner x 1,
stranger +0376 x 1, sstranger +04480 x1
strangers + 0582 1; 92
_________________________________________

1) sojourner a) a temporary inhabitant, a newcomer
lacking inherited rights b) of foreigners in Israel,
though conceded rights

__________________________________________
Exd 2:22 And she bare [him] a son, and he called his
name Gershom : for he said, I have been a stranger
01616
in a strange land

Psa 39:12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto
my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears : for I [am] a
stranger
01616 with thee, [and] a sojourner, as all
my father [were]....


Eze 47:22 And it shall come to pass [that] ye shall divide
it by lot for an inheritance unto you, and to the strangers
01616
that sojourn among you, which shall beget children among you:
and they shall be unto you as born in the country among the
children of Israel; they shall have inheritance with you among
the tribes of Israel.


___________________________________________
Hebrew for 0272 achuzzah / possession x 66
'achuzzah {akh-ooz-zaw'} / Possession

1) Possession, property a) land b) possession by inheritance

___________________________________________

Gen 17:8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after
thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger
, all the land
of Canaan, for an everlasting possession
0272, and I will be their
God.

_________________________________________________

Lev 27:24 In the year of the jubile the field shall return
unto him of whom it was bought, [even] to him to whom
the
possession
0272 of the land [did belong].
'possession(s) 66
________________________________
grave and bury- Qeber/Qabar.

Hebrew for 06913 qeber {keh'-ber} or (fem.) qibrah {kib-raw} x 67
qeber/ grave
1) grave, sepulchre, tomb
grave x 35, sepulchre x 25, buryingplace x 6; 67

Hebrew for 06912 qabar {kaw-bar'}
qabar- bury
To bury
bury x 131, buriers x 1, in any wise x 1; 133
______________________________________________
HETH:

Gen 10:15 And Canaan begat Sidon his firstborn,
and Heth



Gen 27:46 And Rebekah said to Isaac, I am weary of my
life because of the daughters of Heth: if Jacob take a wife
of the daughters of Heth,such as these [which are] of the
daughters of the land, what good shall my life do me?

Gen 49:32 The purchase of the field and of the cave that
[is] therein [was] from the children of Heth.
___________________________________________
Gen 23:5 And the children of Heth answered Abraham, saying unto him,
_______________________________________
Gen 23:6 Hear us, my lord: thou [art] a mighty prince among
us: in the choice of our sepulchres bury thy dead;
none of us shall withhold from thee his sepulchre,
but that thou mayest bury thy dead.

_____________________________________

Gen 23:7 And Abraham stood up, and bowed himself to
the people of the land [even] to the children
of Heth.
And Abraham
[085] 'Abraham
stood up,
[06965] quwm

and bowed
[07812] shachah
himself to the people
[05971] 'am
of the land,
[0776] 'erets
[even]to the children
[01121] ben
of Heth.
[02845] Cheth

Hebrew for 07812 shachah {shaw-khaw'}x 175
shachah / bow

1) to bow down a) (Qal) to bow down b) (Hiphil) to

depress (idiomatic / figurative) c) (Hithpael) (1) to bow

down, prostrate oneself b) before God in worship c) before

false gods d) before angel


Gen 24:26 And the man bowed down his head ,
and worshipped
07812 the LORD.


worship 99, bow 31, bow down 18, obeisance 9, reverence 5,
fall down 3, themselves 2, stoop 1, crouch 1, misc 3; 172

______________________________________

Gen 23:8 And he communed with them, saying, If it be
your mind that I should bury my dead out of
my sight; hear me, and intreat for me to Ephron
the son of Zohar,


Gen 23:9 That he may give me the cave of Machpelah, which
he hath, which [is] in the end of his field; for as much
money as it is worth he shall give it me for a possession
of a buryingplace amongst you.


The Cave of Machpelah/ Tomb of the Patriarchs in Hebron

This site, in Hebron, is the second most visited place
in the Holy Land, the first is the Temple Mount. in
Jerusalem.

The cave and adjoining field were paid for, in full, by
Abraham, 3700 years ago, through the graciousness of
Ephron, the Hittite, whose land it was, by right.

It is nice to reflect on these "salad days" of
brotherhood, when love kissed nations, in the
model given by Abraham. Nations were
blessed in him, then. He impacts our civilization,
to its' very core, today, thousands of years later.

Other than Lot's troubles, there was peace in Abraham's
day, largely because there were decent powerful and
princely men like Abraham, Abimelek, and Ephron, who
respected eachother, and who all feared the LORD who
created all. They treated eachother like brothers.

When nations have good leaders, it's like when
God is ruling with them. It's the opposite when
people choose, or receive a dictator and tyrant
in power. They become seeds in the winds,
blown around by every capricious whim, as
we witness in our own current times, with
tyrannical leaders.

Sarah, who died at 127, was laid to rest
in the cave in the field, in Hebron, in Palestine,
in the land of Canaan. Over the next 100 years,
Sarah was joined in this mauseleum, by Abraham,
Isaac, Rebekah and Leah.

If only their original spark of Love decency, and
brotherhood, would revive us now. The same blood
ancestors today haggle over inches of sacred ground.
They'd rather die than share even an inch. It all means
something! It all cuts so deeply.

___________________________________________
Gen 23:10 And Ephron dwelt among the children of Heth:
and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in
the audience of the children of Heth, [even]
of all that went in at the gate of his city,
saying,


Gen 23:11 Nay, my lord, hear me: the field give I thee,
and the cave that [is] therein, I give it thee;
in the presence of the sons of my people give
I it thee: bury thy dead.


Gen 23:12 And Abraham bowed himself before the people
of the land.


Gen 23:13 And he spake unto Ephron in the audience of
the people of the land, saying, But if thou
[wilt give it], I pray thee, hear me: I will
give thee money for the field; take [it] of
me, and I will bury my dead there


Gen 23:14 And Ephron answered Abraham, saying
unto him,


Gen 23:15 My lord, hearken unto me: the land [is worth]
four hundred shekels of silver; what [is] that
betwixt me and thee? bury therefore thy
dead.


Gen 23:16 And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and
Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which
he had named in the audience of the sons of
Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current
[money] with the merchant.

_____________________________________
Why was it important for Abraham to pay
for the buryingplace amongst Ephron, and
the Canaanites of Heth in Hebron?

Abraham establishes a contract, the same
as when he drew up an agreement on the
well in Be'ersheba, with Abimelek, the
King of Gerar, in Southern Palestine.

Abraham and Sarah ended their days
in this region.

No matter what the politics were, in that
volatile region of the world, Abraham paid
for and owns that region, in Hebron, to be
passed on to the children of Isaac and Jacob.
_________________________________________

Gen 23:17 And the field of Ephron, which [was] in
Machpelah, which [was] before Mamre,
the field, and the cave which [was]
therein, and all the trees that [were] in
the field, that [were] in all the borders
round about, were made sure.


Gen 23:18 Unto Abraham for a possession in the
presence of the children of Heth, before
all went in at the gate of his city.



Gen 23:19 And after this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife
in the cave of the
Field of Machpelah before Mamre:
the same [is] Hebron in the land of Canaan.


Sarah died in Kiryat Arba {what is now Hebron}


Gen 23:20 And the field, and the cave that [is] therein,
were made sure unto Abraham for a possession
of a buryingplace by the sons of Heth.

And Sarah said, God has made me to laugh,

so that all who hear will laugh with me.

~Genesis 21:6


No comments: